A man and his mother have been charged with kidnapping and other felonies after allegedly abducting the man's 5-year-old son from a St. Louis hospital. The boy was found safe and sound a couple days later near St. Louis, but the two adults were arrested in connection with the incident.

Authorities report that the boy's father, who does not have physical custody of his son, took the boy from the children's hospital after he was discharged. Reports indicate that the boy's mother enjoys sole custody of the boy.

The boy is on the transplant list for a new heart, due to a genetic condition, and he was being released from the hospital so his physicians could monitor him in the Kansas City area, where he lives. He was visiting the hospital to be screened for his new heart, according to his team of physicians.

Although the boy needs specific medication and medical equipment to treat his heart condition, his father did not take those items when he spirited the boy away from the hospital. The man instead allegedly took the boy to the hospital pharmacy before calling the boy's mother to inform her that he was taking the child. Police believe that the boy's grandmother drove the getaway car.

After the abduction, an Amber Alert was issued, along with a local SARAA missing-child alert.

Authorities say they found the two in a motel room in a small Illinois town after receiving a tip from a bystander.

Official reports indicate that the boy's father, along with his grandmother and aunt, have all been charged in connection with the incident. They face charges of kidnapping, interfering with custody agreements and endangering the welfare of a child.

This case demonstrates how difficult it can be to deal with family law disputes. Even though the Missouri man did not have custody of his son, he still wanted to spend time with him. Intense emotions can cause level-headed people to act irrationally. As such, it's not unheard of for people to act out of character when they are caught up in a disagreement over custody or divorce. Hopefully this case resolves in a positive fashion, with the young boy remaining happy and healthy.

Source: STLToday, "Child found safe in Chicago area after being taken from St. Louis hospital," Patrick O'Connell & Blythe Bernhard, April 25, 2012